TL Pedals - Honker OverdriveThu May 06 2021
To embed this demo on your own website, copy & paste the code above. Or customize your demo widget here.
Disclaimer: This should be considered paid promotion. TL Pedals sent me this pedal for free.
The Honker Canadian Overdrive is another high quality build by TL Pedals. The Honker is a take on the classic TubeScreamer circuit.
There are a few modifications that transform this pedal into one that TS-haters like myself can actually enjoy:
- The mid-hump is less pronounced
- The tone control sweep is more usable
- The gain range is larger for the classic TS clipping: cleaner cleans and dirtier drives
- There are 3 clipping options (from left to right): classic TS asymmetrical clipping, no clipping and "crunch style" clippling
The design choices for the Honker definitely remind me of the EarthQuaker Devices Plumes. But the Honker has its own unique sound and feel.
My favorite setting on a lot of those pedals with clipping options seems to be bypassed clipping, meaning all distortion is coming from the OpAmp. It just has this nice thumpy oomph and a very robust sparkle to it.
I'd recommend the Honker Overdrive to anyone sceptic towards TS-style pedals. It's versatile, well built, has ample amounts of volume and just sounds and feels great.
- Epiphone SG Special (P90, bridge pickup)
- Honker Overdrive
- Strymon Iridium (Chime)
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Some of these are affiliate links and I earn a small comission if you buy stuff through those links. There is no additional cost for you. It helps me keep this website alive.
If you like what I do, buy me a beer 🍺.